NT Businesses join forces to bring opportunities to the NT
Date: May 18, 2017
Enjoying warm tropical weather, friendly hospitality and a relaxed atmosphere, influential Australian event planners will discover our tropical capital city and experiencing the world class Darwin Convention Centre as part of the ‘Meet Darwin 2017’ familiarisation program.
‘Meet Darwin’ is an annual familiarisation program hosted by the Darwin Convention Centre and the Northern Territory Convention Bureau that showcases the unique and impressive strengths of Darwin as a leading Australasian business events destination to key decision makers. Darwin’s close proximity to Asia, its fast growing economy and innovative business environment, along with unique Top End experiences are all featured throughout the four day program.
A large contingent of NT businesses come together to showcase their services and products to the visiting guests and demonstrate the capabilities and unique experiences available in the Top End.
Representing a diverse array of industries including medical, education, science, automotive, information technology, transport, research and property sectors, the national guests are encouraged to discover, experience, learn and savour the delights of Darwin.
“As Darwin is a unique conferencing destination and a capital city that not everyone has previously visited, Meet Darwin is an ideal way to showcase the diversity of experiences available in the Top End of Australia as well as the capabilities of the world class Darwin Convention Centre to national event planners,” said Janet Hamilton, General Manager of the Darwin Convention Centre.
“Event planners are immersed in the tropical Darwin experience over 4 days and can see how their national and international delegates, accompanying partners and speakers could benefit from attending a major conference at the Darwin Convention Centre,” said Ms Hamilton.
Minister for Tourism and Culture Lauren Moss said the Northern Territory Government understands the importance of business events to the NT economy.
“We are proud of our ongoing investment in Darwin's world-class convention centre. It is an essential asset in supporting our tourism industry and the economy. Last year the Centre contributed $33 million in visitor spend, money spent with local NT businesses.
The action packed ‘Meet Darwin 2017’ program included:
- A welcome reception at the Crocosaurus Cove with up close and personal encounters with Australian saltwater crocodiles and reptiles
- The sights, flavours and entertainment at the iconic Mindil Beach Sunset Markets
- Helicopter ride over Darwin with Nautilus Aviation
- A networking session with suppliers from the tourism, retail and hospitality industry in Darwin that are able to support conference organisers
- Site inspections of popular hotel properties
- A unique VIP in-store experience at the Paspaley and di CROCO Boutiques
- An exclusive Indigenous themed fine dining experience at the Darwin Convention Centre featuring a Northern Territory specialty menu, with entertainment by an Indigenous didgeridoo player and an inspiring contemporary dance by the Gary Lang NT Dance Company
- Tour of the National Trauma Centre
- Tourist activities including a Segway tour through the Darwin Botanic Gardens
- An evening under the stars at the Pee Wee’s
- A Darwin harbour cruise on-board the ‘Charles Darwin’ including a clap-stick workshop with an Indigenous representative from the Larrakia Nation
For more information about the Darwin Convention Centre, visit www.darwinconvention.com.au
19 May 2017
When: 11am Friday, 19 May 2017
Where: Darwin Convention Centre
Vision: Attending media will have the opportunity to film the guests touring the Darwin Convention Centre or attending the Local Industry Showcase
Media Contact: if you wish to capture footage and interview the Darwin Convention Centre General Manager or a guest please contact Kate Hopper (Darwin Convention Centre) 0400 764 147